HR 3016 IH
Mr. WENSTRUP (for himself, Mr. BENISHEK, Mr. ROE of Tennessee, Mr.
ABRAHAM, Mr. RUIZ, and Ms. BROWNLEY of California) introduced the
following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Veterans' Affairs
July 9, 2015
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the `VA Provider Equity Act'.
SEC. 2. ROLE OF PODIATRISTS IN DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS.
- (a) Inclusion as Physician-
- (1) IN GENERAL- Subchapter I of chapter 74 of title 38,
United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new
`Sec. 7413. Treatment of podiatrists
- `For purposes of this chapter, the term `physician' includes a podiatrist.'.
- (2) CLERICAL AMENDMENT- The table of sections at the
beginning of such chapter is amended by inserting after the item
relating to section 7412 the following new item:
- `7413. Treatment of podiatrists.'.
- (3) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 7401(1) of such title
is amended by striking `Physicians, dentists, podiatrists,' and
inserting `Physicians, dentists,'.
- (b) Qualifications- Section 7402(b) of such title is amended--
- (1) in paragraph (1)--
- (A) in subparagraph (A), by striking `or of doctor
of osteopathy' and inserting `, doctor of osteopathy, or doctor of
podiatric medicine'; and
- (B) in subparagraph (C), by inserting `podiatry,' after `surgery,';
- (2) by striking paragraph (5); and
- (3) by redesignating paragraphs (6) through (14) as paragraphs (5) through (13), respectively.
- (c) Period of Appointment- Section 7403(a)(2) of such title is amended--
- (1) by striking subparagraph (C); and
- (2) by redesignating subparagraphs (D) through (H) as subparagraphs (C) through (G), respectively.
- (d) Modification of Pay Grade-
- (1) GRADE- The list in section 7404(b) of such title is amended by striking `PODIATRIST,'.
- (2) APPLICATION- The amendment made by paragraph (1)
shall apply with respect to a pay period of the Department of Veterans
Affairs beginning on or after the date that is 30 days after the date of
the enactment of this Act.
- (e) Contracts for Scarce Services- Section 7409(a) of such title is amended by striking `podiatrists,'.
- (f) Personnel Administration- Section 7421(b) of such title is amended--
- (1) by striking paragraph (3); and
- (2) by redesignating paragraphs (4) through (8) as paragraphs (3) through (7), respectively.
- (g) Medical Directors- Section 7306(a)(4) of such title is
amended by inserting `, doctor of podiatric medicine,' after `doctor of
- (h) Application- The amendments made by this section shall
apply with respect to podiatrists employed by the Department of Veterans
Affairs as of the date of the enactment of this Act or who are
appointed on or after such date.